Anime movies are feature-length animated films originating from Japan and are made using anime-style animation. These movies often have complex storylines, well-developed characters, and stunning visuals. They cover many genres, including action, adventure, drama, romance, comedy, and fantasy, and are enjoyed by people of all ages worldwide. Some popular anime movies include Spirited Away, Akira, Your Name, Princess Mononoke, and Grave of the Fireflies. Many anime movies are adaptations of popular manga (Japanese comics) or light novels, while others are original stories created specifically for the big screen.
- Your Name (2016) – Directed by Makoto Shinkai, Your Name is a romantic fantasy film that follows two teenagers, Taki and Mitsuha, who are mysteriously swapping bodies. The movie received critical acclaim for its beautiful animation and emotional storytelling.
- Spirited Away (2001) – Directed by Hayao Miyazaki, Spirited Away is a classic in the anime world. The story follows a young girl named Chihiro who is transported to a magical world filled with strange creatures and supernatural events. The movie won an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature in 2003.
- Grave of the Fireflies (1988) – Directed by Isao Takahata, Grave of the Fireflies is a war drama about two siblings, Seita and Setsuko, who fight to live during World War Two in Japan. The film offers a striking reflection on the atrocities of war and how they affect helpless people.
- Akira (1988) – Directed by Katsuhiro Otomo, Akira is a cyberpunk classic in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic Neo-Tokyo. The movie follows Kaneda, a biker gang leader, as he tries to save his friend Tetsuo from a government experiment gone wrong.
- Princess Mononoke (1997) – Directed by Hayao Miyazaki, Princess Mononoke is an epic fantasy adventure exploring environmentalism and the balance between humans and nature. The movie follows Ashitaka, a young prince embroiled in a conflict between a forest god and the humans destroying his home.
- Perfect Blue (1997) – Directed by Satoshi Kon, Perfect Blue is a psychological thriller that follows Mima Kirigoe, a pop singer who decides to pursue an acting career. As she delves deeper into acting, she begins to question her identity and sanity.
- Ghost in the Shell (1995) – Directed by Mamoru Oshii, Ghost in the Shell is a cyberpunk sci-fi film that explores the intersection of human consciousness and technology. The movie follows Major Motoko Kusanagi, a cyborg police officer, as she hunts down a mysterious hacker known as the Puppet Master.
- Paprika (2006) – Directed by Satoshi Kon, Paprika is a sci-fi film that follows Dr Atsuko Chiba, a scientist who has invented a device that allows people to enter and explore their dreams. When the device falls into the wrong hands, chaos ensues as people’s dreams merge with reality.
- Redline (2009) – Directed by Takeshi Koike, Redline is a high-octane racing movie that follows JP, a daredevil driver who enters the most dangerous race in the galaxy. The film is known for its stunning animation and thrilling action sequences.
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006) – Directed by Mamoru Hosoda, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a sci-fi romance that follows a teenage girl named Makoto who gains the ability to time travel. As she tries to use her newfound power to improve her life and the lives of those around her, she begins to realize the consequences of her actions.
Top anime series to watch now
Here are some of the top anime series to watch now:
- Attack on Titan
- My Hero Academia
- Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
- Jujutsu Kaisen
- One Piece
- Naruto/Naruto Shippuden
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Cowboy Bebop
- Death Note
These anime series have gained immense popularity and critical acclaim in recent years and are available on various streaming platforms.
Best anime movies on Netflix
The best anime movies currently available on Netflix:
- Your Name (2016)
- Spirited Away (2001)
- A Silent Voice (2016)
- 5 Centimeters per Second (2007)
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006)
- Weathering with You (2019)
- Children of the Sea (2019)
- The Garden of Words (2013)
- Perfect Blue (1997)
- The Red Turtle (2016)
These anime movies have received critical acclaim for their storytelling, animation, and characters and are considered classics in anime. They cover various genres, including romance, drama, fantasy, and sci-fi.
Leave a Reply